Santa Barbara was the tenth mission founded (December 4,1786). Three adobe churches were built but the third one was destroyed by an earthquake in 1812. The present church was built in 1815 and completed in 1820. Another earthquake damaged the church. Restoration work was completed in 1927. Santa Barbara is the only mission in the California chain remaining under control of the Franciscans without interruption from the day of its founding until the present time.
This Mission is also called “Queen of the Missions” and was named for Saint Barbara, a legendary martyred church figure of the 3rd century. The Neoclassical facade is inspired by 1st century B.C. architecture of Marcus Vitruvius Pollio.
The fountain built in 1808 along with the adjacent stone “lavandaria” which was used by Native Americans.
The day we visited it was another wet day but most of the tour was inside. We watched a 18 minutes video and then went quickly in the cemetery garden.
We enjoyed the artwork displayed in the church. Some of the interior detailing were patterned after an ancient Roman temple. It was difficult to take good photos in the church as there was not much light.
There were many things to look at in the museum. There was lots to read and great info.
And of course, there was a gift shop. Notice the beautiful handmaid decoration on the wall.
Another photo taken outside the mission.
It was another good visit and then we drove some more to get to Ventura where we would visit the very last mission on our list.
Thanks again for your visit.