The very next day ( after visiting two Missions) we visited another mission. more. We were in San Luis Obispo ( aka SLO ). The Mission occupies a full city block in downtown SLO. It is one of the few early missions never to be relocated. This mission is often called “The Prince of Missions ” and was named for a 13th century French saint, the Bishop of Toulouse.
This mission was the 5th and was founded in September 1772 by Father Serra. The present building was built between 1794 and 1794 and was restored in 1933.
It was built in an area known as La Cañada de Los Osos, the canyon of the Bears because of the concentration of grizzly bears in the area. In the museum we find Indian artifacts, glassware, documents and pictures from days gone by. We enjoyed very much to see the garden with beautiful magnolia and some fruit trees.
The church was very nice with beautiful drawings on walls.
We have now only 4 more Missions to visit. Thanks for reading. and many thanks also for leaving a short comment.